Although you can move horizontally in so many different ways in Minecraft, such as by riding a horse or running faster, there are not many ways to move in the vertical direction. However, you can now also do it by making a water elevator on your map. And if you don’t know how to make a water elevator in Minecraft, we have a detailed guide for you.
You can easily make a water elevator in Minecraft by using an iron bucket, glass blocks, kelp, door, gamma, and soul sand block. After making the sidewall, you need to fill the void with water source blocks and then place the magma or the soul block at the bottom.
However, it is not easy to make a water elevator even after having all the items needed in your inventory. But, before we reveal the secret recipe to make one easily, let’s understand what a water elevator is in Minecraft and how you can use it in the game.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Water Elevator in Minecraft? How It Works?
- 2 Items Needed To Make A Water Elevator In Minecraft
- 3 How To Get The Items Needed To Make A Water Elevator In Minecraft?
- 4 How to Make a Water Elevator in Minecraft?
- 5 Different Kinds Of Transportation In Minecraft
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Conclusion
What Is A Water Elevator in Minecraft? How It Works?
You don’t need to climb any stairs or use any ladder to travel in the upward direction in Minecraft if you can make an elevator on your map. And here, in this guide, we are going to reveal how to make a water elevator in Minecraft with magma. But before that, you need to know what water elevator actually is in the game.
You can travel way faster in both upward and downward directions in the game with a water elevator. And it uses the water block structure to move players between different floors. It also uses the real-world properties of water to perform the operation.
However, you can’t use a single elevator to move upwards and downwards direction, as you can’t change the direction of the water flow in the game. So, you need to make a separate elevator to go in the upward direction and another elevator to go in the downward direction.
Items Needed To Make A Water Elevator In Minecraft
Before you know how to make a water elevator in Minecraft without soul sand, you need to know about the items necessary to make a water elevator in the game. There are eight things that you need to make a water elevator that are as follows.
- Glass Blocks: You need to use blocks to make the sidewalls of your elevator. Although you can technically use almost any block to create the walls, many pro gamers use glass blocks to enhance their aesthetics and beauty.
- Iron Bucket: Making the water elevator is not enough as you also need to fill it with water to activate it. And to do that, you need an iron bucket to pour water. You can easily craft an iron bucket with three iron bars on your crafting table.
- Two Signs: You need at least two signs to put on the sidewalls of your water elevator, especially in the soul or magma blocks. By using those, you can effectively block the ways for water to flow outside of the elevator tracks.
- Door: You need to create an entry to your elevator and also need to keep your water from flowing outwards from that opening. And for that, you also need a door in your water elevator.
- Soul Sand: You can’t make any elevator move in the upward direction without the soul sand. And you can easily get it from the Nether World.
- Magma Block: If you want to make an elevator that goes in the downward direction, you need magma blocks for that. And like soul sands, you can also get it from the Nether World.
Besides getting your items from the Nether World, there are many ways to make all these items on your crafting table, such as a source for infinite lava. If you don’t know how to do it properly, follow our detailed guide on infinite lava in Minecraft.
How To Get The Items Needed To Make A Water Elevator In Minecraft?
It is not difficult to know how to make a water elevator in Minecraft. However, you need to burn some energy to gather the items needed to make one. You can easily craft an iron bucket to carry water by using three iron rods. Besides, getting signs and glass blocks is also relatively easy as you can easily get them on your map.
However, things become quite challenging when it comes to soul sand and magma blocks. You just need one soul sand block to make any elevator go in the upwards direction. And there is no other way than to get the soul block from the Nether world. You need nothing but a shovel to collect a soul sand block from the Nether world.
Like soul sand, you can also collect magma blocks from the Nether world too. However, you can also craft it from magma cream. You can easily make magma cream by using blaze powder and slimeball. You can get a blaze rod by killing a blazed creature in the game. And by using that blaze rod on your crafting table, you can make blaze powder.
You can get the slimeballs necessary to make magma blocks by killing slimes, which is a typical mob in Minecraft. However, it is better to obtain all the items at once when you enter the Nether world. Otherwise, you need to face dangers many times, as the Nether is not the place to stroll around.
How to Make a Water Elevator in Minecraft?
You can make the basic structure of your water elevator by placing the blocks all around your elevator to stop water from flowing out. Besides, you should use a door in the enclosure to ensure an entry and exit in the elevator. And once you are done with the basic structure, you can create either a soul sand bubble or a magma bubble to move in the upwards or downwards direction.
If you still find it hard to make one on your map, here goes the detailed step-by-step guide to make a water elevator in Minecraft bedrock edition and java edition.
- Step 1: You first need to collect glass blocks to make the sidewalls of your water elevator. And depending on the height you need, you need to collect glass blocks four times the height. If you want to make an 8-block high elevator, you’ll need 32 blocks of glass.
- Step 2: Place three iron rods on your crafting table to make an iron bucket. And once you have it, move to a waterbody to collect the water needed for your elevator.
- Step 3: You can collect both water and kelp at the same time. Just go to any ocean on your map, dive deep into the water, and collect the kelp needed to make a water elevator.
- Step 4: After collecting glass blocks, water, and kelp, you then need to go to the Nether world to collect soul sand (for going upwards) and magma blocks (for going downwards). However, you can also craft magma blocks.
- Step 5: Place a hollow block in the center where you want to make a water elevator and make a glass enclosure surrounding it to make the sidewall structure of your elevator.
- Step 6: You need to leave a two-block high opening on either side of your elevator to use it as the entry for your water elevator. However, you can make the sidewalls as high as you want.
- Step 7: Now, place your door on that open space to close it. Otherwise, all the water will flow in the outwards direction from that opening. You can either collect or craft a glass or wooden door on your crafting table.
- Step 8: You need to first make any water block a source block before pouring it inside your water elevator. Otherwise, the water will not flow in the downward direction properly. All you need is to fill up your water bucket with kelp and then collect water with it to make it a source water block.
- Step 9: You need to now collect water with your kelp-filled bucket and pour it on the elevator from the top block. It will force water to flow in the downwards direction between your glass walls. And slowly, it will fill up the entire elevator.
- Step 10: Once the basic structure is ready, replace the block located at the very bottom with a soul sand block that you have collected from the Nether world. It will push the elevator in the upwards direction, and you can also move upwards.
- Step 11: If you want to use the elevator in the downward direction, you need to replace the bottom block with a magma block. It will create a magma bubble that can easily pull the elevator in the downwards direction.
You need to understand that you can use the same water elevator to move in the upwards or downwards direction. And you can easily achieve that by replacing the bottom block with either a magma block or a soul sand block.
Different Kinds Of Transportation In Minecraft
You need to first know what various kinds of transportation are possible in Minecraft. And once you know it, it will be easier for you to grasp how to make a water elevator in Minecraft with soul sand. And not just water elevators; you can now make sand elevators in the game as well. If you don’t know how to do it, follow our comprehensive guide on soul sand elevator in Minecraft.
Not just Minecraft, transportation is a crucial factor that can help you win any game. And there are two types of transportation possible in Minecraft, vertical and horizontal. You can use a horse for your horizontal travel. And for vertical travel, you need either a water elevator or a sand elevator.
These two types of elevators are suitable for two different biomes in Minecraft. However, you can use the elevator to travel on both sides, upward and downward direction, depending on the items you use to make the elevator. But if you are a beginner in this game, the water elevator is the handiest tool for you to reach almost any height in Minecraft.
Does soul sand make water go up?
Soul sand will create a bubble inside the water. So, if you place a soul sand bubble at the bottom of your water elevator, it will automatically create a bubble that will lift the bubble column inside the elevator. And that bubble will help you to move upwards within the empty source water blocks inside the elevator.
How do you make a water elevator with soul sand and magma in Minecraft?
You need to first keep your elevator tightly enclosed so that water can’t flow in the outwards direction. And then, you need to turn all the water blocks into source water blocks by using kelp. Once you are done with these, you can then place soul sand or a magma block at the bottom of the elevator to activate it.
How do you transport water on Minecraft?
You need buckets to transport water in Minecraft. You can use any bucket from your inventory and right-click on the water to collect it with that bucket. You can also see water flowing out from the source block. However, you can’t collect flowing water with any instrument in Minecraft.
What block pushes you up in the water?
You need soul sand block to push you up in the water, such as in the case of a water elevator. It is not difficult to collect a soul sand block from the Nether world, although it can spawn anywhere in the underworld. And if you place it at the bottom of your elevator, it will form a bubble and push it in the upwards direction.
Water elevators are the most efficient tool to move in the upwards and downwards directions in Minecraft. It is not just efficient but will also increase the overall aesthetical value of your map. Although it is mainly used for movements, you can also craft a water elevator inside a mansion in Minecraft to give it an amazing finishing touch.
So, these are all the possible solutions we have if you don’t know how to make a water elevator in Minecraft. But, if you think we have missed any effective method, or if you know any other method to make one, feel free to drop your suggestions and feedback in the comment box below.