We all love to deal with mobs and bosses with smite or sharpness enchanted weapons, isn’t it? But there is an intense debate among gamers about which enchantment is better. So, we took a thorough look at the never-ending Minecraft smite vs sharpness battle to know which one is the most powerful among them.
You can enchant swords and axes with either smite or sharpness, as they don’t work simultaneously on the same weapon. Smite will cause more damage to undead mobs, such as wither, skeletons, and zombies. And sharpness will cause more damage to general mobs.
However, you do need to know how to use them and how to enchant a weapon with these powers. So, we have tried to find the easiest ways to get these enchantments. But, before we reveal those, let’s see who wins between smite and sharpness enchantments.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Smite And Sharpness Actually Do In Minecraft?
- 2 The Power Levels Of Smite And Sharpness
- 3 Smite vs Sharpness – Which One Is Better In Minecraft?
- 4 How To Get Smite And Sharpness In Minecraft?
- 5 Can You Use Smite Enchantment On An Axe?
- 6 The Easiest Way To Get Level-V Smite And Sharpness Enchants
- 7 When To Use Smite Over Sharpness In Minecraft?
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 FAQs
What Smite And Sharpness Actually Do In Minecraft?
Before you indulge in the debate of Minecraft smite vs sharpness, you definitely need to know what they do and how to use them properly. Both these enchantments actually make your weapon cause more damage to your opponents. And they both come from Level-I to Level-V.
But the main difference between these two is actually in their target opponents. While smite will cause extra damage to an undead mob, sharpness will cause extra dagame to every mob and opponent you encounter on Minecraft. However, if you don’t know who the undead mobs are, here goes the complete list.
- Skeleton horses
- Wither Skeletons
- Zombie Horses
- Zombie Piglins
- Zombie Villagers
You can chant almost anything with both smite and sharpness, obviously with the “Cheat Mode” on. And you can now even enchant a chain in this game. But, if you don’t know how to get one, check out our detailed guide about How to Make a Ladder In Minecraft in both Java and Bedrock editions.
The Power Levels Of Smite And Sharpness
Both smite and sharpness in Minecraft have the same levels, i.e., from Level-I to Level-5. Smite will cause additional damage between 2.5 and 12.5, depending on the level of your enchanted weapon. On the other hand, sharpness will cause additional damage between 1 and 3 in the Java edition and 1.25 to 6.25 in the Bedrock edition.
As we have already said, these two different enchantments will create more damage to different target groups. The detailed additional damages caused by these two enchantments are as follows.
Additional Damage With Smite (Both Java And Bedrock Edition)
- Level-I: 2.5 additional damage
- Level-II: 5 additional damage
- Level-III: 7.5 additional damage
- Level-IV: 10 additional damage
- Level V: 12.5 additional damage
Additional Damage With Sharpness (Java Edition)
- Level-I: 1 additional damage
- Level-II: 1.5 additional damage
- Level-III: 2 additional damage
- Level-IV: 2.5 additional damage
- Level V: 3 additional damage
Additional Damage Cause By Sharpness (Bedrock Edition)
- Level-I: 1.25 additional damage
- Level-II: 2.5 additional damage
- Level-III: 3.75 additional damage
- Level-IV: 5 additional damage
- Level V: 6.25 additional damage
Smite vs Sharpness – Which One Is Better In Minecraft?
The Minecraft smite vs sharpness is a never-ending battle, although both these enchantments are primarily executed on swords. On any non-critical hit with smite enchantment, you can cause up to 12.5 additional damage to undead mobs, such as zombies, skeletons, wither, and a lot more. And if you enchant any diamond sword with smite, it can take down almost any enemy with a single strike.
On the other hand, the sharpness enchantment, especially on swords and axes, will cause up to 5 additional damage to any enemy or mob, including the creepers. But yes, it will cause more damage to undead mobs. You also need to keep in mind that you can’t use both of these enchantments on the same weapon using the command, as they are not compatible with each other.
Which one is better between smite and sharpness entirely depends on against which enemy you are using these enchantments. But, according to the pro players, you should use the sharpness enchantment on your primary sword or axe. And you can use the smite enchantment in any special weapon that you will only use against certain enemies (mostly undead mobs).
How To Get Smite And Sharpness In Minecraft?
Getting the smite and sharpness enchantment in Minecraft is pretty easy if you know the right way to execute it. However, you can do it in a few simple steps.
- Step 1: Launch “Minecraft” in either the “Single Player” or “LAN World” mode.
- Step 2: Click the “Create New World” button to launch a game.
- Step 3: Once you get the startup menu, click on the “Allow Cheats” button to toggle the cheat mode from “OFF” to “ON.”
- Step 4: Now, click on the “Create New World” option again to launch the game.
- Step 5: Once a new map fully reloads, fetch the command menu.
- Step 6: Type the “/enchant @p smite 5” command to get the smite enchantment.
- Step 7: Type the “/enchant @p sharpness 5” command to get the sharpness enchantment.
- Step 8: Return to the game and enjoy your new enchantment on your weapon.
Note: The “5” option that we used on our command line denotes the level of enchantment we need for our weapon. You can change the digit between 1 and 5 depending on the level of required enchantment for your weapon.
Can You Use Smite Enchantment On An Axe?
Yes, you can now use the smite enchantment, even on axes. However, this enchantment will not work with either the sharpness or cleaving enchantments. But a smite enchanted axe will cause more damage to undead mobs while the sharpness enchanted axe will cause more damage to other mobs. If you are using the Java edition of Minecraft, Level-V smite enchantment will cause 12.5 additional damage.
However, if you want to deal with arthropods (including spiders, cave spiders, bees, and silverfish), it is better to use the “Bane of Arthropods” enchantment than sharpness or smite. This particular enchantment will not only cause more damage to arthropods but will also make them slower. But to pierce through your enemies or mobs, it is better to use the “Piercing” enchantment, as it will execute critical hits.
The Easiest Way To Get Level-V Smite And Sharpness Enchants
Before you know the result of the Minecraft smite vs sharpness battle, you need to know how to get them, that too, quite easily. It is quite hard to get both the level-V smite and sharpness enchantments in a straight path (unless you have sufficient time to get a level-V version). However, you can get it with the “Cheat Mode” on, as we have already shown.
But, if you want to get both these enchantments straightaways, get all your villagers involved in the quest. It is generally seen that librarians tend to get both these level-V enchantments easily towards the end of their trades. So, you need to trade with your villager more than usual.
And to keep your villagers engaged and to rightly trade with them, you do need a lantern for sure. But, if you don’t know how to get one, follow our comprehensive guide on how to craft a lantern in Minecraft.
When To Use Smite Over Sharpness In Minecraft?
As we have already said, both these enchantments will cause more damage if you choose your opponent wisely. However, there are three specific instances where smite will overpower the sharpness enchantment.
- If You Are In The Nether Fortress: You can only find non-passive mobs in the Nether fortress. And smite will work like a charm. You may also get withers, skeletons, and ghasts in the fortress. But it is better to use a bow to kill them.
- When You Attack Undead Mobs: From skeletons to zombies, a smite enchanted axe or sword will cause more damage to them. You also need to kill hundreds of these undead mobs to collect the loots. And the smite enchantment will speed up your killing stint.
- When You Attack Withers: Ender Dragon and Wither are the two main bosses in Minecraft, and you need to prepare for one of the most brutal fights while dealing with them. But, as wither is an undead mob, a smite enchanted weapon will cause more damage.
It is not easy to get both the level-V smite and sharpness enchantments if you are following a straight route. However, you can get these two enchantments quite easily with commands (definitely with the “Cheat Mode” on). But don’t try to use commands in online games, as it may get you banned from the server.
So, these are all that we have to say about the never-ending Minecraft smite vs sharpness battle. But, if you think we have missed some points, feel free to drop your suggestions and feedback in the comment box.
Is smite worth it in Minecraft?
Yes, smite enchantment is definitely worth a try in Minecraft. If you are dealing with undead mobs, a smite enchanted sword or axe will cause unparalleled damage to them. But, if you are using it for general purposes, smite enchanted weapons may not feel powerful enough.
Does smite do more damage to wither?
Smite will definitely cause more damage to wither, who is a boss in Minecraft. Wither is actually an undead creature, and smite works quite like a magic wand against undead creatures, as it will cause up to 12.5 additional damage. So, it is better to use the smite enchantment against wither.
Can sharpness go with smite?
The simple answer is NO! Both these enchantments can’t be used in a single weapon. And you can’t enchant any weapon with both these powers, even with commands. So, it is better to enchant two different weapons with these two enchantments to use for specific purposes.
Does smite affect Ender Dragon?
Ender Dragon is not an undead creature like Wither. And smite causes additional damage, mostly to undead mobs and creatures. So, a smite enchanted weapon will not cause much effect to Ender Dragon. However, if you are using a diamond sword, it will be a different story.